Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day #1

I spent the bulk of today trying to acquaint myself with the software I will be using during the next two months. The two programs I use are called Maxim DL and Visual PinPoint. Each of them gave me problems. I attempted to calibrate a set of photos George took of the asteroid Russel. I kept getting this error telling me I had not specificied the exposure duration but I could not find the place for this value for the life of me. PinPoint also gave me issues, but I can't really isolate exactly what they are because the program just completely crashes on me when I tell it to "Solve Plates." After these failures, I spent the rest of my time browsing NASA's NEO website. I feel like I have a good grasp on the site's content. It should be a very useful tool, as it contains information about all the asteroids that will be approaching earth in the near future.

No comments: