Monday, June 16, 2008

Day #9

Today was somewhat disappointing. PROMPT took the thirty pictures of 2008 LG2 I requested and I was able to load them all into PinPoint, but I can't see anything that looks like an asteroid in any of them. I don't understand why this is the case. Although it is possible the asteroid could have moved out of the frame during the latter pictures, the scope should have been centered on it at least during the first few. The calibration files for pictures were also baffling. They seemed to only add more noise to the pictures. On a more positive note, I finally found an asteroid in Starry Night's database that is both large and dim, Ixion. Ixion has an apparent magnitude of 20 and a diameter of about 1 km. This should be a good specimen. It is already contained in PROMPT's database as well, so I can be assured that I'm not making any errors in putting in its correct coordinates. Hopefully I'll get some nice pictures back in the morning that I can use.

No comments: