Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day #2

Today I was able to utilize PinPoint to accomplish some of my tasks. I spent the morning solving some of George's Russell pictures and found the asteroid in them. I was able to compare my RA/Dec values for Russell with those of NASA (George had the NASA info for Russell in a spreadsheet already) and found the two sets to be very close to one another. After lunch, I started from scratch with the asteroid Vesta. This time, I took all the data save for the PROMPT photos themselves. During this process, I learned how to use the JPL Horizons tool. When I used PinPoint to find Vesta, I found it was hard to get its exact coordinates. Vesta appeared very large in the photos and PinPoint could assign one single set of coordinates to it. Tomorrow's goal will be to model Vesta's movement to make the best estimate of its exact coordinates.

No comments: