Monday, June 23, 2008

Day #13

I'm fairly sure I have some pictures of a dim asteroid. I posted some pictures of 2008 LG2 awhile back. At that time, I only knew how to use PinPoint to stream pictures together in a "movie". Since PinPoint could only solve two of my original pictures, my earlier movie only consisted of those two pictures. I recently learned how to use Maxim DL to "animate" pictures in a movie. With this, I am able to shuffle quickly through all 11 of the picture I got. My pictures were taken from 5 different camera locations and I repeated each shot twice. On one of my locations, I only got one picture back. Therefore, when I animate my pictures, I get four seemingly different movies (with the one picture left over). In each of these two picture movies, I can see a blurry object move from right to left across the frame. I'm fairly certain this has to be 2008 LG2, a dim asteroid. Now that I have this, I need to find its magnitude and other values. This should be a good start to actually analyzing some of my pictures. I also told PROMPT to take pictures of another flyby tonight, 2005 WC. This dim asteroid is slightly larger than 2008 LG2 but much further away. I think the chances of me getting back anything useful from this are probably a longshot, but the goal of my project is to test PROMPT's limits, so who knows.

No comments: