Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day #10

Today was another disappointment. There is something very bright in all my ixion pictures and it makes anything dim that would otherwise be visible impossible to see. I think its probably the moon but can't tell for sure. When I checked in Starry Night, it does indeed appear as if ixion passed fairly close to the moon during the time the pictures were shot. For the time being, it doesn't look like there are going to be many fly-by's happening soon. Therefore, I will try a different approach. Instead of solely searching for dim asteroids, I'm going to try and find dim stars by stacking my images. Although this doesn't involve asteroids, it should still allow me to estimate the magnitudes of the dimmest objects PROMPT can see. This should then be useful as it will tell me which dim asteroids I might actually have success in finding. On a side note, I told PROMPT to take pictures of another very small fly-by but am not too optimistic about this yielding anything useful.

No comments: