Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day #7

PROMPT actually gave me back some of my very own pictures today. It took 24, 60 second exposures of Ursula. I was able to load the pictures into PinPoint and identify the moving asteroid. However, for whatever reason, PinPoint does not zone in on the asteroid with its crosshairs like it did for Vesta. I'm not sure why. There is no error message, and it is easy to tell which object is moving. I don't know what the deal is with that, but I don't think its all that important. At the very least, I can at least now say that I took some pictures of an asteroid with PROMPT and I've got a 24-exposure movie to prove it. The next step will be to try and catch some dim asteroids. I at first tried using Starry Night to identify a few. From what I can tell, all the asteroid's in starry night's database are either bright or well-known because, when I type their names into Skynet, it already knowns their coordinates. Therefore, I turned to the JPL NEO website. I found that there should be a small asteroid passing relatively close to us (compared to the others on the list) tonight. I used HORIZONS to find its coordinates from 03:00 to 04:00 GMT and manually inputted 6 different commands into PROMPT. I won't know how this works out til tomorrow, but it would be very cool if I can get some good pictures.

No comments: