Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day #5

The majority of today was spent reading through all the tutorials of Maxim DL and experimenting with its capabilities. I took several sets of photos (of objects I found interesting) from Skynet, loaded them into Maxim DL, and practiced with them. This meant I had to get the right calibration files from Skynet. This was somewhat difficult as I had to find the calibration pictures taken with the right telescopes, at the right times, through the right filters. Once I had these, I used Maxim DL to calibrate the images. This removed a lot of noise for some of my pictures, but it seemed to actually add some unwanted effects to others. For the pictures taken through the GBV filters, I then used Maxim DL to combine their colors. I also toyed around with the "starry night" program and perused this website I will likely be using in the future: http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html. I will soon post some of my best screens from my experimentation with Maxim DL.

No comments: