Friday, June 6, 2008

Day #3

I finished the process of comparing my data with Horizon's database today. The two sets of data seemed to match up fairly well. The RA's from the two sources definitely were more consistent than the Dec's though. There were a few errors in my process. Although my Dec's were negative, I plotted them as positive in an attempt to make my data match up better with George's. This was not needed and could cause someone reviewing my data to misinterpret it. My excel skills are still lacking as well. I should learn to input my formulae directly into the spreadsheet instead of making calculations by hand. I was able to do so today because I was only dealing with six data points. I'm sure my future observations will involve a ton more points. I also have no clue how to get appropriate error bars on my plots. I've been looking unsuccessfully for Ivarsen's email address. He can hopefully inform me how I can get the best pictures of dim asteroids.

1 comment:

Tony Crider said...

Can you please post the images of your plots? Thanks.